Yep, healthy! The secret ingredients are: black beans and greek yogurt. DON’T cross these off your list just yet–I took them to a party and no one knew they were made of black beans! They’re easy to make…
For the mocha cupcake:
15-ounce can unseasoned black beans
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
1 teaspoon instant espresso–I just used instant coffee.
3 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar —I used brown sugar
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Grease pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Puree the black beans and vanilla together.
2. In seperate bowls:
–whisk together: coco powder, baking soda, baking powder, instant coffee powder
–beat together: eggs, yogurt, sugar
3. Beat the puree in with wet ingredients, then, fold in the dry ingredients. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until knife comes out clean (this recipe makes about 12).
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting (from: http://www.pipanddebby.com)
Ingredients: 1 cup butter, softened 5 cups powdered sugar, divided 2 Tbsp. milk 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
Servings: 12 Ready in: 10 minutes
1. In a medium bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in milk and peppermint extract.
2. Gradually beat in remaining 3 cups powdered sugar until smooth. If necessary, beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to achieve spreading consistency.
Add the crushed candy canes prior to serving to maintain the crunch!
This was truly an adventure!
Those Gatelys, they sure know how to throw a party!
And there, you have it, peppermint mocha cupcakes: